April 28, 2009

Gold Soundz (Let it Bea)



Bea Arthur is not a meme, OK. I want to take a serious moment to appreciate all that Dorothy and The Golden Girls have given us, while also examining what role, if any, these Miami post-panthers have had on some of the music you appreciate today. Sure, she taught us crucial pre-Degrassi lessons about teen pregnancy, infidelity, and accepting cross-dressing siblings. But what does Bea have to do with beats? We asked a few of our favorite musicians that very question.

How has Bea Arthur and/or the GGs in general influenced your musical career?

Thomas from Bellman Barker: "John owns an autographed photo of Bea Arthur that he got at a garage sale years ago - he has it hanging in front of his electronic drum kit in Baltimore. So clearly, it's the inspiration for all his beats. Most of our songs are about marrying Leslie Nielsen and moving to Atlanta (ed: in the series' final episode, Dorothy married Blanche's uncle Lucas Hollingsworth, played by Leslie Nielsen). Also, we have a shelved project called 'Let it Bea' - honestly, it's kind of hard to tell where Bea ends and BB begins."

Dan from Dan Deacon: "Like claws. Deep bold strokes of light."

Brian aka Mux Mool: "Brother Ali had a remix contest for one of his songs (Original King). A line from the song is 'That shit's Golden Girls that ain't golden gloves' - that was the first time I had ever synced up one of my beats with vocals. I actually used what became the Death 9000 beat. Similarly, I did watch a lot of Golden Girls at my grandma's house when I was a kid, which in retrospect, has had absolutely no effect."

Bruce from Double Dagger: "No influence whatsoever. R.I.P."

Who's your favorite Golden Girl and why?

Brian from Silversun Pickups: (takes a deep breath, scratches chin scrubble...) "How to answer what is undoubtedly the quagmire of our generation?" (This was followed by a long, well-executed platform outlining the attributes and faults of each Golden Girl before he finally settled on Betty White.)

Dave 1 from Chromeo: "Man I haven't watched that show in so long...I don't even remember what their names were...one of them had orange hair. Which one had orange hair? Which one was the youngest one, the cool one? (someone says 'Blanche'). Yeah she got the leather pants like me!" (full interview here)

Joshua from Santa Dads: "My sister [Wham City artist Dina Kelberman] and I watched it growing up along with almost any other sitcom of the 80's and early 90's. At the time I watched it, we did not express any emotional attachment towards the characters on the show. It was more an affection for the concept of the television, not the shows or characters themselves. But if I must choose, as I know I must, my favourite Golden Girl will be Rose Nylund (Betty White). I love her hair, her innocence, her devotion to kindness and childish grace."








Andrew Gold - Thank You For Being a Friend (LP version, 1978)








Pavement - Gold Soundz (live in Hamburg, 1994)

And when we both get older
With walking canes and hair of gray
Have no fear even though it's hard to hear
I will stand real close and say
Thank you for being a friend

And when we die
And float away
Into the night
The milky way
You'll hear me call
As we ascend
I'll say your name
Then once again
Thank you for being a friend



Related: The Teenagers Teen Chat: Beverly Hills 90210

No comments: